Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas

Christmas brings many things. (23/12)Glad tidings - unimportant rejection letter from the University of Namibia for the Master in Public Health. I am not being ironic, because now I will be able to go to a course in Mathematical Biology held in Cape Town done by a Princeton graduate studying epidemiology at UC Berkeley. Being rejected though, kinda burns. I have to find out why, work experience, GPA or what? In any case, this is my challenge, to see how much I want to do public health by doing some more of it next year. I want to be in a place where I can say "yes! This is what I must do now, the masters and I have some thesis ideas".

Cooking was good on the 24th. We had the traditional "Budni vecher" dinner. I cooked the stuff, all vegan, as it is supposed to be, but soo good. Soup of beans, cabbage leaves filled with season rice (as Esmerelda put it - one of the guests who is a beautiful colored lady who was in my same grade school (primary school) and who has a kid with a Bulgarian-Lebanese dude I have never met). It was great company and the bulgarian pumpkin pie (with walnuts and more phylo dough) crusty tasty layer, was great.


Presents ( a plate) for my father. I was washing the dishing (plates) when my mother asked "I read a bit of the note you put for your father with the plate, I don't know, what you want to say with it?" I was angry at the fact she read it and I said "It is for him, because he will need plates in the new place where he is staying." From that point on, a wide rivere opened up between me and my mother, which she filled with her outbursts and accusations of me being a traitor by encouraging my father to move in with his whore. I escaped then, so I visited my cousins who live in Havana. Havana is an informal settlement in Windhoek. On side of Evaline street there are stone houses and on the other I saw sprawling right angled homes made of crinkled corrogated iron. Some brick here and there, but it was just here and there. There are public toilets and high floodlights intersperesed inbetween every 20 houses of so, but that is it, it appears. Gravel roads. My cousin had a great meal and I brought stuff too.
My cousin Nango stays there, she works as a cashier at Spar - a grocery store in Marua Mall. There is a Spar here too, nearby, where we shop often, I get whole wheat buns with pumpkin and sunflower seeds there. The contrast between my family and hers exists.


Plate, that plate. Kept my mother up all night and the in morning, she stormed in my room, half awake I made out what she said, whith eyes flaring a real monster "I suggest you move out and stay with your father and his kurva [whore]".That was thing morning.

We had a meal just now of roasted eggplant,carrots, garlic and yoghurt (bulgarian style) and I prayed for peace. That rift between us is still there, and I shovelling out the heaps of scathing words that came into it.

1 comment:

  1. Pancho, I'm glad that you are seeing the silver lining of this Christmas - good food, special guests, and God's blessing. Parliamo subito amore!
    Mohammed

    ReplyDelete