Saturday, September 12, 2009

There are a few more things I need to write...

The week went great this year. (I mean to say this week).
I am kind of delirious.

I met some prisoners at my work place. Walking on the way back from the supermarket, I had just bought some penut butter for lunch, I passed by a group of men dressed in dark green overalls, seated on the sidewalk a stones throw away from the parking. One of them looked at me and said "Hello" and I smilled, holding my plastic bags full of grocerries, "Hello"
"What's your name?" the man continued
"Pancho" I said effortlessly, without hesitation
and he replied, "nice to meet you Pancho" ever so politely.
I turned away from him and continued my walk to the entrance of our green and white building.

Why did her greet me? Is he just friendly, or was their something in my gait that gave me away? He probably does not know about my sexual orientation and even if he did, what did that matter. I did not know he was a prisoner, that they were prisoners, only later when they told me
"Those are prisoners, be careful" did I realize they were the prisoners who building the fence for the ministry of health and social services, a projoect that was publicized in the papers in June.

So maybe it was my gait, my walk. At home, I walk from the door to the fridge and my brother goes off : "Don't walk like that!, that's gay"
I remember him saying so. I do not recall in which came first, him saying so or my thought inside my head of "and so am I".
I knew what his objection was. But honestly, my walk is effortless, like my smile, like my frankness.

No comments:

Post a Comment