Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fifteenth of July

Recounting the best and worst moments from the Health facilities survey, that is going on in the Khomas Region.
Yesterday, we were at Private clinic called Paramount health, where the healthcare of the client of paramount importance to the clinic,according to the notices up in the reception. The receptionist spoke English like someone who went to varsity in South Africa,a superb accent that is at once Namibian and South African. What does her race matter here?
So the best moment there was when I finally gained access to the doctor, a tall lady, Dr Erasmus and I was going to complete the HIV Out Patient Department Questionnaire. Though I had played the private doctor many times during our practise sessions, I was unprepared for the fact Dr Erasmus was somewhat in hurry, though she appeared congenial at times.An interesting moment was when she asked to read the list of guidlines and protocols I was asking for, about HIV/AIDS, directly from the questionnaire and I declined to give to her, saying, without much thought that it was "research". I did not bear in mind the person I was speaking to, that is the education and personal experiences that she probably undwerwent as medical student. Her reply was "that's bullshit, I've done research before". Later on, in the car, on the way back, Miss Ngatangue told me that is a penchant of the Afrikaaner, to say "dai is kak"

No comments:

Post a Comment