Monday, November 9, 2009

Today

I wonder Pancho, what is your life like?
So someone may ask me. I wanted to just keep on living, but I needed to write this.
I woke up from the floor where I sleep, on top of two concentric duvets that offer comfort. The flatness I like, its good for the back
At 06:20 I went jogging to the local service station where I bought a loaf of brown bread and a milkshake in a bottle for my brother. He took it before driving off to school. He usually does not drive himself, but this time my father was away and he instructed my brother to just take the car (dad's) and drive.

I listened to RFI and I heard about the fall of the BERLIN wall.
Went to work, by foot. Arrived five minutes late, but it was not big deal.

Spoke to my bosses about what needs to be done in the health facilities census we are concluding. Spent much of the morning swapping roles with my colleagues. Now I had to enter the data from a stack of questionnaires that assessed the laboratories of health facilities. They were relaxing and enjoying it. Entering data is not easy. Here I was entering data about labs and diagnostics for health, rather than being in one. This was my choice. I did a bit of that and enjoyed my time with colleages. When I got stuck or entered something wrong into CSPro I would call them and ask "Lavinia, what do I do here?" or "Katrina, please come". They are in the same avocado flesh green colored room. They did what I usually did, tell them how to move in case the questionnaires has not been answered correctly.

Later I called up health facilities "Good Afternoon, I am calling from the directorate of special programs in Windhoek on behalf of the health facility census, I would like to know about the following clinic....what is the managing authorit, is it a state or private clinic?"
I spent about an hour calling all over the country to investigate the managing authorities of different facilities which were thorns for us, because the interviewers in the field said one thing and the people who compiled the list of facilities say another.

I would at this point give a typical college alumni account of my job and what I learnt, what are the pitfalls and strong points. But I'll save it. Suffice it to say, I am learning alot about collecting information about health in questionnaires.

Afterword, I walked home. I had a quick dinner and started writing an article about bread, white bread and brown bread in Namibia. My thesis is that the preference for white bread of black Namibians is due to the legacy of apartheid and the inferiority complex it engendered, which results in a collective representation of brown (semi-whole wheat) bread as undesirable resulting in the loss of health benefits of brown bread.
I am going to speak about how collective representations are cultural constructions that William Dresserly speaks about in his article "Medical Anthropology: A third movment in the social sciences" and how these cultural constructions are a result of the institutionalized racism of apartheid, a social structure. Basically the objective, the structure of the past has engendered a collective representation of today.
It will be my way of introducing medical anthropology to general readers of the newspaper.

Then I went for a run, here and I and danced on the road. The tar road is warm in early evening, at twighlight. I ran by the open space that is set to become a park. Beautifull and breathtaking. As I was running, I was loving it and loving my time here.
I came back to my place my home, cooked a healthy dinner for my brother and came to write this.
I am here with my family, living a life.
What does it mean to live like this?
How am I a different Namibian, apart from the fact I have a different accent, not really American, not Namibian?

No comments:

Post a Comment