Saturday, November 14, 2009

Recovery

I was really very sick.
I lost pools of water in diarrhea. My ears were ringing and black strobe light flashing before me. It was gradual, from Tue I lost my appetite and became weak.
Thursday night, I was bloated, like a toad, could not vomit, just croaked. Then the diarrhea.

But now I am ok. I saw a doctor that thursday night, at the wonderful private health care clinic, the pristine Paramount Health Care. The doctor I saw was this petite woman with short black hair, dressed in a black sleaveless shirt. Dr Serfontein. She looked Bulgarian, my mom said, who drove me.
Dr Serfontein oozed professionalism. She just listened and made conversation. She asked about me where I worked while she palpate my tummy, while listened for my blood pressure. Smiling. She put me at ease. Her hands on my pulse, I could feel I was in trustworthy hands.
In short, she was badass, just like a doctor should be.
But she did not know I would have diarrhea five hours later. So she did not give me anything for rehydration. She did not give me the wonderful medicine against bloating that I received the next day from my general practioner, my family doctor, Dr Star.
The funny thing is that initially, Dr Star saw me on Tuesday, but she did not even touch me.
We kind of lost faith in her then, when I got worse on Thursday. What type of doctor was she? She just prescribed me vitamin supplemnt and that was it!
Then Serfontein, seemed so good. Race seemed to play a role, since Serfontein is white and Star is black. But then when Star gave me a drip to rehydrate me Friday and she gave me antibloating medicine and rehydration sachets, I regained my trust in her.
So, that is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment