Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 16th

I at home and in my room, just beyond the corridor I can hear my aunt’s (my mother’s friends speaking). The discussion is now about a different clans and the maternal and paternal systems. ‘We all belong to different clans’ ‘A group of your family has a name’ says Maria to Aunty Marta’s daughter, who is a teenager , born in the new Namibia and may not know about this. ‘Clan is your blood line’ says auntie Peggy, ‘You are a cow,’

Ofamilie ya tate gwoye (your father’s family), also says Aunty Maria. ‘Tell me I’m your mother’ says Aunty Marta to her daughter , ‘Aunty Maria already explained it to me’ came the reply from the irritable teenager

‘Why do they call you Makena?’

‘I don’t know!’ comes the moaning reply.

So here I am in Namibia, with my family, in my house, with my mother and brother. Sure I cannot do everything that I would like to do now, but still I should enjoy these moments.

I wanted to perhaps spend hours and hours writing more about my life, my failed attempts at getting a boyfriend (ok or getting a date), my advocacy (today I went round our neighborhood telling people about a biodiversity talk aimed at raising awareness about green open spaces in city coming Thursday – I got their emails and I will send out reminders).

There is only so much I can do in that department.

And then, I would love to continue my LGBT ideas – my picnic idea – the letter reading event and all.

Not to mention writing to the Namibian alumni of the United World Colleges and telling them about the Botanical gardens event and so many other events.

Then there is the mundane stuff: revising my budget, doing my laundry, fitting in the lock in my door which does not close (perhaps I should start with that!)

And today is Saturday evening the first day of the week, this week my father’s birthday week (somehow) I count the week according to the Jewish way, sunset to sunset. That’s why Friday one hour before sunset up to Saturday one hour after Sunset I try and relax from the about 9 hours a day I work during the working week

Its really crazy! And then I want to write to so many of my friends: Mariel, Emilie, Mohammed, Karlis, Ellen-Marie, Roderick, Marco, Danny, Michael Kowen, Josh Weinstein, Daniel (Molbio major in my class, black, studies medicine UNC chapel hill).

I feel this heaviness. This utter heaviness of being overwhelmed. Should I even go to the Christian youth group?

Devrais-je écrire à Rickie?

Oh mon Dieu, aide moi, parce que je ne reussirai pas autrement.

Fui andando por mi barrio sensibilizando la gente sobre el encuentro de la biodiversidad,

¡ Hay mi curso de español que empiece este semana!

Tengo que hacer planes concretos. Hay que hacerlos y prioritizar.

Y por lo tanto, no hago matemáticas todos los días, ¿estoy poniéndome menos flexible en mi mente ¿¿o qué efectos supone no hacer estos ejercicios todos los días?

Ok let’s do a priority list:

  1. Replace the door handle in your room.
  2. Poster: Town-Thumb tacks, Biodiversity meeting-WB
  3. Go to Yoga (Sunday)
  4. Door your laundry (and math while you wait)
  5. Write the reminder for the Botanical Talk
  6. Pray Pray Pray.
  7. Go to the Office: Proofread Bophelo! Report
  8. Email: Biodiversity invite to Dorado people.
  9. Go to the HIV Society Meeting
  10. Go to mass
  11. Go home, rest.

Monday

Poster: MET Levinson Arcade, MET.

Plan work items: WHO paper, CoW issues/questions, ART study: tie up Uganda, NGO study: set interview times.

LUNCH DADDY BIRTHDAY

Spanish, Anuncio PolyTech

Dance

Tuesday

Lunch Claire of the FNCC

Wednesday

Spanish

Send reminder about BIODIVERSITY TALK

Thursday

Biodiversity Talk

Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment