Saturday, February 5, 2011

Avenue of Desire! (based on what happened last weekend!)

The Avenue of Desire

I took a walk on a Sunday day, down a street in down-town,

and there across the shop that dresses men,

I met, I accosted, I said

“ I like your style, would you teach me?”

“Red Shirt, brown pants and sandals to match your hair” I said

And that led to more talk about shopping and your bag:

“I got it from the guy by telecom”

“How much?”

“A hundred dollars”

“That’s decent (for a black bag with a reggae flag)”

All I wanted to to do was wave my PFLAG, and utter

“You’re gorgeous, yes you are!”

Maybe that’s why I saw you approaching from afar,

But there was nothing in your tred

There was no flutter

It was like that of a man,

But that’s not say you don’t have a rainbow fan

(at home, in the closet or wherever it may be)

See!

I followed you after we parted

My heart, because of your guileless nature, was darted

And I, as it bled, said

“I’d like to see you again”

Some hackneyed phrase I’d read or heard

But was it just from a song?

Was it absurd?

A man for another man to long?

You are beareded and black haired,

When God made you, nothing did He forfeit

In drawing your portrait,

“Nothing’s gonna work (but it did!)”

You said, somewhat overwhelmed,

“All of these strange people talking to me, but I just want to be one my own

After I read you and called you “Ruan!” (not you another-one)

Maybe it’s because you are gorgeous

I should have said

And pled that we meet again

Instead,

I laughed as I walked away, ahead of you,

What does it matter if you not are gay?

It’s just that it was so fun!

To walk and admire

And kindle that fire

Does it burn for you as much as for me

in my open furnace,

burning with bliss?

(Is dit rooi? Ja dit is!)

Ruan, do you yearn to meet me again?

Strolling down-town on the avenue of desire?

1 comment: