Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I am still sick

So I am still sick with cough and cold.
Hopefully, I will recover soon, somehow.

I am cleaning up all of the things in my room. Yesterday, I found a basket, a traditional one that my grandmather in the North of Namibia, (Owamboland) probably made.

A shallow basket, more like one of those Chinese hats you see in the movies, but upside down
And it is made of reeds, yellow reeds and decorated with brown here and there, from bark, I think, (not actually sure, see how little I know about my fatherland).

There were coins in the basket, coins from America, dimes and pennies, a one pound coin from the United Kingdom and centiemes from France. Interesting is it not.
The places we have been.
My sister should come back from England next month.
This month, I am resigning myself from family issues.
I need to organize my room,
apply for the things I need to apply for, that I want to apply for, including the "Teach South Africa" fellowship, the South African version of Teach for America. However, I hope to find work here in Namibia as a teacher, but over 600 teachers here are looking for work.

I found out that there is very little funding for MPH programs alone in the US.
What this means is that I will probably have to do an MPH here in Namibia.
There is alot, alot of incidences of disease and much still remains to be discovered here. In fact, it would an ideal place for an epidemiological study, I believe.
Now I just have to get over the initial shock of studying here.
Well my plan is is to do well here and then do a PhD in the US, and PhDs are funded.

So why do I even want to teach then, why not just throw myself in the public health/epidemiology work right away.
I feel an urgency to impart knowledge to young people, to make then inquire and find answers about the physical world. It's clear I would teach science.
The came into my head one day last summer.
I was working at my bench in the lab and the power went off. It was day time, so all we had was the ambient light the flooded in through the windows. People all around were rushing to save whatever they had in fridges and incubators, but I was just at peace. And I told Yuri, a kid in the lab for the summer, I could be a teacher.
"A teacher", he said.
A teacher. And I though about it there. Then I found out about Publich Health and I thought this would just go away, and be replaced. But nothing is replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment